Faculty in Human Performance, Dance & Recreation engage the community in Health and activity events and outreach, with research areas including health and wellness, injury rehabilitation, athletic training, kinesiology, and Literacy Through Movement.
The Department of Human Performance Dance and Recreation prepares future professionals with knowledge, skills and dispositions to become responsible practitioners, clinicians and leaders in the many disciplines that utilize physical activity.
The Department of Human Performance Dance and Recreation has a dynamic vision to advocate for positive attitudes, values and engagement in healthy, creative and active lifestyles that impact global societies.
Human Performance, Dance & Recreation acts as a lead institution at the National Falls Prevention Lab, a consortium of university researchers and clinicians who are committed to optimizing health and independence among older adults.
Southwest Falls recently held its Prevention Colloquium at NMSU.
Publications in Human Performance, Dance & Recreation
Robert Wood, Professor of Kinesiology
- K E Cherry, R Ellis, R Wood, et al. Social Engagement and Health in Younger, Older, and Oldest-Old Adults in the Louisiana Healthy Aging Study (LHAS) (2011). Journal of Applied Gerontology. (In Press).
- D Chow, R Wood et al. Cardiovagal autonomic function in HIV-infected patients with unsuppressed HIV viremia. (2011). HIV Clinical Trials. (In Press).
- DS Moore, R Ellis, M Kosma, JM Fabre, KS McCarter and RH Wood. Comparison of the Validity of Four Fall-Related Psychological Measures in a Community-Based Falls Risk Screening. (2011). Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 82 (3): 545-554
- JM Fabre, R Ellis, M Kosma3, DS Moore, KS McCarter and RH Wood. Development and Validation of the Comprehensive Falls Risk Screening Instrument (2010). Physical and Occupational Therapy in Geriatircs, 28(2): 181-194.
- JM Fabre, R Ellis, M Kosma, and RH Wood. Falls Risk Factors and a Compendium of Falls Risk Screening Instruments (2010). Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, 33(4): 184-197.
Joseph Berning, Associate Professor of Kinesiology
- Jones, K., DeBeliso, M., Sevene, T. G., Berning, J. M., Adams, K. J. (2012). Body Mass Index and Army Physical Fitness Test Standards in ROTC Cadets. International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigations, 1(10).
- Harris, C., A.P. Wattles, M. DeBeliso, P.G. Sevene-Adams, J.M. Berning and K.J. Adams (2011). The seated medicine ball throw as a test of upper body power in older adults. Journal Strength and Conditioning Research, 25(8): 2344-2348, 2011
- Berning, J.M., K.J. Adams, M. DeBeliso, P.G. Sevene-Adams, C. Harris and B.A. Stamford (2010). Effect of Functional Isometric Squats on Vertical Jump in Trained and Untrained Men: Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(9): 2285-2289
- K.J. Adams, M. DeBeliso, P.G. Sevene-Adams, J.M. Berning, T. Miller, and D.J. Tollerud. (2010). Physiological and psychophysical comparison between a lifting task with identical weight but different coupling factors. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(2), 307- 312
- Sevene, T. G., DeBeliso, M., Berning, J. M., Harris, C., Adams, K. J. (2012). Physiological and Psychological Comparison between a One and Two Handed Identical Lifting Task. To appear in International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigations, 1(9), 86-89.
Adrea Cripps, Assistant Professor of Athletic Training
- Cripps, A. (2014). Professional Thoroughbred Jockey Injuries: Epidemiology, Causations, and Outcomes. Journal of Athletic Medicine, 1(4), 29-34. www.jampub.com
- Cripps, A. (2013). Visual Perturbation Does Not Effect Upright Postural Stability in Healthy, Non-Concussed Athletes. Journal of Athletic Medicine, 1(3), 163-175. http://www.jampub.com/index.php/JAM/article/view/35
- Cripps, A., Boham, M. (2015). Baseline Total Symptom Score Varies by Method of Delivery in Athletes. International Journal of Athletic Therapy & Training, 20(1), 46-51. http://journals.humankinetics.com/AcuCustom/Sitename/Documents/DocumentItem/08_IJATT_2014_0051_Cripps.pdf
Jennifer M. Fabre (Assistant Professor)
- Ellis, R., Kosma, M., Fabre, J., Moore, D. S., Wood, R. H. (2014). Proximal determinants of falls risk among independent-living older adults. Research On Aging, 35(4), 420-436.
- Wood, R. H., Fabre, J., Ellis, R., Kosma, M. (2010). Falls risk factors and a compendium of falls risk screening instruments.. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, 33(4), 184-197.
David Keeley, Assistant Professor of Biomechanics
- Torry, M. R., Cowley, J., Keeley, D. W., Kernozek, T., Shelburne, K. (2015). Function of the Normal Hip. In McCarthy, Villar & Noble (Ed.), Diagnosis and Surgical Treatment of Hip Disease. Springer.
- Keeley, D. W., Oliver, G. D., Torry, M. R., Wicke, J. (2014). Validity of Pitch Velocity and Strike Percentage to Assess Fatigue in Young Baseball Pitchers. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 14(2), 355-366.
- Keeley, D. W., McClary, M. A., Oliver, G. D., Dougherty, C. P. (2014). A pre-post performance comparison of the long head of the biceps brachii muscle oxygenation in young baseball pitchers. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 54(1), 118-123.
- Wicke, J., Keeley, D. W., Oliver, G. D. (2013). Comparison of pitching kinematics between youth and adult baseball pitchers: a meta-analytic approach. Sports Biomechanics, 12(4), 315-323.
- Keeley, D. W., Oliver, G. D., Dougherty, C. P. (2012). A biomechanical model correlating shoulder kinetics to pain in young baseball pitchers. Journal of Human Kinetics, 34, 15-20. http://www.johk.pl/files/10078-34-2012-v34-2012-02.pdf
- Keeley, D. W. (2012). Addressing Injury Rates in Athletes: The Need for a Comprehensive Approach. Journal of Sports Medicine and Doping Studies, 2(4), 1000e116. www.omicsonline.org/ArchiveJSMDS/articleinpressJSMDS.php
- Keeley, D. W. (2012). Sports Medicine and Applied Sport Science: Can we truly Bridge the Gap?. Journal of Sports Medicine and Doping Studies, 2(2), 1000e104. www.omicsonline.org/Archive JSMDS/previousissueJSMDS.php
- Oliver, G. D., Plummer, H. A., Keeley, D. W. (2011). Muscle activation patterns of the upper and lower extremity during the windmill softball pitch. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 25(6), 1653-1658.
- Keeley, D. W., Plummer, H., Oliver, G. D. (2011). Predicting asymmetrical lower extremity strength deficits in college aged males and females using common horizontal and vertical power field tests. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 25(6), 1632-1637.
- Oliver, G. D., Keeley, D. W. (2010). Pelvis and torso kinematics and their relationship to shoulder kinematics in high school baseball pitchers. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(12), 2366-2371.
- Oliver, G. D., Keeley, D. W. (2010). Gluteal muscle group activation and its relationship with pelvis and torso kinematics in high school baseball pitchers. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(11), 3015-3022.
- Keeley, D. W., Wicke, J., Alford, K., Oliver, G. D. (2010). Forearm kinematics and its effect on the two-seam and four-seam fastball pitches. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(9), 2366-2371.
- Ramappa, R. J., Po-Hau, C., Hawkins, R. J., Noonan, T., Hackett, T., Sabick, M. B., et al. (2010). Anterior shoulder forces in professional and little league pitchers. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics, 30, 1-7.
- Keeley, D. W., Oliver, G. D., Dougherty, C. P. (2012). Shoulder Kinematics During Pitching: Comparing the Slide Step and Traditional Stretch Deliveries. To appear in Human Movement Science, 31(5), 1191-1199.
Debra Knapp, Associate Professor of Dance
- Debra Knapp, Associate Professor of Dance
- Knapp, D. W. The Dance Experience. Learning for a Lifetime: Effective Secondary Physical Education Programs.
- Knapp, D. W. (2013). Teaching as a Transformational Experience. JOPERD, 84(6).
- Knapp, D. W. (2011). One Choreographer’s Tale of Dance Making. JOPERD, 82(9), 16-19.
- Knapp, D. W. (2010). Sample Learning Experiences. Implementing the National Dance Standards.
Kim Oliver, Professor of Physical Education
- Brock, Sherry, Rovegno, Inez, & Oliver, Kimberly L. Eds. (2013). Research and Practice in Physical Education. Routledge.
- Oliver, K. L., Kirk, D. (in press). Girls, physical education and gender: An activist perspective.. London: Routledge.
- Oliver, K. L., Kirk, D. (in press). Reconsidering girls, physical education and gender from an activist perspective. Routledge.
- Oliver, K. L. (2013). Beyond words: The visual as a form of student-centered inquiry of the body and physical activity. In L. Azzarito & D. Kirk (Eds). Physical Culture, Pedagogies and Visual Methods.. Routledge.
- Oliver, K. L., McCaughtry, N. (2012). Lessons learned about gender equity and inclusion in physical education. In. S. Dagkas and K. Armour (Eds). Inclusion and Exclusion through Youth Sport. Routl.
- McCaughtry, N., Oliver, K. L. (2012). The Spark and Discouragement of an Innovative Male Physical Educator. In F. Dowling, H. Fitzgerald, & A. Flintoff (Eds.). Equity and Difference in Physical Education, Youth Sport and Health: A Narrative Approach. Routledge. Routledge.
- Oliver, K. L. (2010). The body, physical activity and inequity: learning to listen with girls through action. In M. O’Sullivan & A. MacPhail (Eds). (Ed.), Young people’s voices in physical education and youth sport.. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Kirk, D., Oliver, K. L. (2014). La misma historia de siempre: Reproduccion y reciclaje del discurso dominante en la investigacion sobre la education fisica de las chicas. Apunts. Educacion Fisica y Deportes, 116(2), 15.
- Kirk, D., Oliver, K. L. (2014). The reproduction of and recycling of a dominant narrative in research on physical education for girls. Apunts. Educacion Fisica y Deportes, 116(2), 15.
- Oliver, K. L., Kirk, D. (2014). Towards an activist approach to research and advocacy for girls and physical education. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, DOI:10.1080/17408989.2014.895803. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, DOI:10.1080/17408989.2014.895803. DOI:10.1080/17408989.2014.895803
- Oliver, K. L., Oesterrich, H., Aranda, R. (2014). ‘The sweetness of struggle’: Innovation in PETE through student-centered inquiry as curriculum in a physical education methods course.. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17408989.2013.803527
- Oliver, K. L., Oesterrich, H. (2013). “We lived the process rather than learned about it at the university”: Student-Centered Inquiry as Curriculum as a Model for Field Based Teacher Education. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 45(3), 394-417.
- Oliver, K. L., Hamzeh Al Smadi, M. (2010). The boys won’t let us play”: 5th grade mestizas publicly challenge physical activity discourse at school. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 81(1), 39-51. http://www.aahperd.org/rc/publications/rqes/
- Hamzeh Al Smadi, M., Oliver, K. L. (2012). “Because I am Muslim, I cannot wear a swimsuit”: muslim girls negotiate participation opportunities for physical activities.. To appear in Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 83(2), 330-339.
- Hamzeh Al Smadi, M., Oliver, K. L. (2010). Gaining research access into the lives of Muslim girls: Researchers negotiating muslimness, modesty, inshallah, and haram.. To appear in International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, 23(2), 165-180.
Kim O’Connell-Brock, Assistant Director, Athletic Training
- Boham, M., O’Connell-Brock, K. (2014). Unusual Mechanism of Injury Resulting in Thoracic Chance Fracture in a Rodeo Athlete. Journal of Athletic Training, 49(2), 274-279. www.natajournals.org
- O’Connell-Brock, K. Chapter 13: Cryotherapy: Beyond Immediate Care. Therapeutic Modalities, the Art and Science, K. Knight & D. Draper, 2008, 1st Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Philip Post, Assistant Professor of Sport Psychology
- Post, P. G., Wrisberg, C. A., & Mullins, S. (2010). A field test of the influence of pre-game imagery on basketball free throw shooting. Journal of Imagery Research in Sport and Physical Activity, 5, Article 2.
- Post, P. G., Fairbrother, J. T., & Barros, J. A. (In Press) Self-controlled amount of practice benefits the learning of a motor skill, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
- Post, P. G., Barros, J. A., & Wrisberg, C. A. (In Press) Evidence of non-compliance with instructions in attentional focus research. Brazilian Journal of Motor Behavior.
- Post, P. G., & Wrisberg, C. A. A phenomenological investigation of gymnasts’ lived experience of imagery (In Press). The Sport Psychologist.
Debra Knapp, Associate Professor of Dance
Original, Adjudicated Choreographies (Past Two Years)
- Knapp, Debra W., “Carousel,” Las Cruces Symphony, Las Cruces, NM. (January 2013 ).
- Knapp, Debra W., “Joining Forces,” NMSU Contemporary Dance Theater, NMSU Dance Program, NMSU. (October 2013 )
- Knapp, Debra W., “On The Streets,” NMSU Contemporary Dance Theater, American College Dance Association: South-Central region, NMSU. (March 2013 ).
- Knapp, Debra W., “Coming Home Alone,” Solo work, NMSU Dance Program, NMSU. (September 2012 – Present).Knapp, Debra W., “A Piece of Crumb,” NMSU Contemporary Dancers, NMSU Contemporary Music Festival, NMSU. (February 2012)
Director of Show
- Knapp, Debra W., “Tango,” NMSU Dance Program, NMSU Dance Program, NMSU. (September 2013 ).